Gifting can be hard! It becomes especially difficult when you are gifting for little ones who can’t exactly make a wish list yet. Don’t stress though. We’ve got you covered with a simple guide to buying gifts for babies and toddlers!
Here are the three things that you should consider before making your gift purchase:
- Is it safe?
- How long will this gift last?
- What does this toy teach?
Choosing Safe Gifts for Babies and Toddlers
The most important thing to know about your gift is that’s its safe. Make sure that you are buying your gift from a trusted site. Avoiding sites like Amazon and Etsy will make it less likely for you to get a toy that is counterfeit and not safety-tested. The U.S. Government of Accountability Office found in 2018 that two out of every five products purchased online were counterfeit. Counterfeit toys are not safety tested, could break dangerously, and may contain toxic chemicals. Buying from trusted sites like Blossom ensures that your gift will be authentic and safe.
Once you have fond a trusted site, make sure that the toy you want to purchase is made of non-toxic materials and meets safety standards. Finally, always be sure to check that your little gift-receiver meets or exceeds the recommended age. If not, put that toy on the list for next year!
What makes a gift unsafe?
- Age or developmentally inappropriate
- Contains pieces a child could injure themselves on (like pegs, sharp corners, etc)
- Chinese-made & sold
Tips for Purchasing Safe Gifts for Babies and Toddlers
- Shop at reputable boutiques and shops
- If purchasing from Amazon make sure what you’re buying says “Ships & Sold from Amazon”
- Check for safety testing badges on packaging and product listings
- Check the age rating on the toy – this is the minimum age that a toy is safe for a child.
- Shop soft, and not-too-small gifts for your littlest gift-receivers since it’ll most likely end up in the mouth!
Choosing Long-Lasting Gifts for Babies and Toddlers
Little ones grow fast! So, if you are choosing clothes for a gift, sizing up is the way to go. This will allow your adorable gift to be worn than once before it becomes too small. Another way to prevent the ever so quick outgrowing of clothes is to choose stretchy clothes that will grow with the little one in your life. Brands like Little Sleepies and Kyte BABY create amazing bamboo clothes and pajamas that are super stretchy and will fit for much longer.
When buying toys it is super important to be sure that the toys are made to last. Poorly made toys will can break and become dangerous. A broken toy is also a quick way to cause a big meltdown! We recommend buying wooden toys over plastic ones to ensure safety and longevity in the toy. Toys made out reclaimed rubber wood are a great option! Trusted companies, Tender Leaf Toys and PlanToys, make wooden toys that have been extensively tested for safety and durability and are sure to last a long time.
Tips for Choosing Long-Lasting Gifts for Babies and Toddlers
- Choose clothing that allows extra growth, like Little Sleepies
- Choose toys that have a long play life – like toys that can be used for roleplaying, pretend play, and more!
- Choose gifts that are made from high quality material such as wood and bamboo
Choosing Educational Gifts for Babies and Toddlers
When choosing gifts, and especially toys for little ones, look for toys that encourage early development. These toys will not only help the little one in your life to develop necessary skills, but will also be more entertaining and fun! Little ones love to learn! Toys that encourage little ones to explore and imagine are great options.
When deciding which toy will be best, simple toys are best. Simple toys prevent overstimulation and let little ones use their imagination. Experts recommend simple toys that encourage little ones to explore their senses, develop fine and gross motor skills, and teach cause and effect. While flashy toys may seem like the best bet, they will likely be ditched by dinnertime.
Tips for Choosing Educational Gifts for Babies and Toddlers
- Avoid plastic toys with a lot of lights and sounds as these can easily overstimulate little ones
- Choose toys that have more than one learning component to them, like a car with colors & numbers
- Depending on the age of the child, choose gifts that can help develop important skills such as fine motor skills, memory, problem-solving, role-playing, build imagination and more.
Now that you know how to choose the right gift, its time to get to the fun part: shopping! Take the stress out by shopping Blossom for the best baby and toddler gifts! At Blossom you will be sure to find products that are safe, adorable, and tons of fun. The products we sell are all chosen and loved by parents and little ones. Happy shopping!!Shop Blossom