Take the fun with you on your trip with this Melissa & Doug Take-Along Town Play Mat including an illustrated town and road map and soft fabric sensory vehicles. The mat, with a non-skid backing, features an illustrated town and road scene in bright, eye-catching colors. The nine soft fabric vehicles crinkle, rattle or squeak and also have numbers on the bases to encourage number recognition and early sequence skills. All fabrics are easy to clean. The play mat folds up to become a convenient storage bag for the vehicles, making it perfect for travel. Melissa & Doug K’s Kids toys nurture early childhood development in three key skill areas: physical, cognitive, and social. With interactive designs and multi-sensory features, K’s Kids promotes constructive play and effortless learning, keeping interest high and new skills flourishing throughout the baby and toddler years!
Melissa & Doug Take-Along Town Play Mat Dimensions
- Product: 39″L x 36″W 1.3 lbs
- Package: 14.5″ H x 11.2″ W x 3.5″ L
Travel Toy Mat Specifications
- Activity play mat/storage bag with around-the-town scene and 9 soft vehicles
- Mat features bright colors and non-skid backing
- Vehicles make crinkling, squeaking, or rattle noises
- Durable and easy to clean fabric
- Nurtures early vision, focus, and color awareness; promotes fine motor skills and number recognition
- Ages 6m+
How to Play With the Traveling Toy Play Map
- 6M+: Place the toy within easy reach and guide baby’s hand to pat various vehicles. Say aloud, “We can pat the bus — pat pat!”
- 6M+: During tummy time, place mat on the floor and squeeze and shake the various vehicles to make noises. Guide baby’s hand to do the same.
- 6M+: Guide baby’s hand as you move the vehicles around the town, stopping at the appropriate vehicle locations.
- 9M+: Identify the different vehicles: taxi, police car, fire truck, school bus, cement mixer, ice cream truck, race car, ambulance, tow truck. Help baby pat each vehicle as you say its name.
- 9M+: Encourage baby to hold, shake, and squeeze the different vehicles to hear the various sounds.
- 9M+: Separate the vehicles by sound (3 of each) and reinforce the commonality of each group (rattling, crinkling and squeaking).
- 9M+: Place a vehicle on the floor, facing baby but slightly out of reach, and encourage baby to reach and grasp to pull it near.
- 12M+: Call out the name of one vehicle and ask the child to try and locate that vehicle on the play mat. Or, guide the child’s hand to find the chosen vehicle after identified.
- 12M+: Ask the child to locate different colors on the vehicles. Say a color name aloud and guide the child’s finger to point to a vehicle with that color.
- 12M+: Line up the vehicles in a row and count them aloud. Ask the child to pat them along with you as you count. Turn them over to show the child the corresponding number.
- 18M+: Ask the child to locate particular vehicles by attributes. For example, “Can you find the two red vehicles?” Or, “Can you find the vehicle that takes children to school?”
- 18M+: Ask the child to line up the vehicles in numerical order.